Let Lamco Plumbing Keep your Decatur Area Home in Good Shape This Holiday
Tips and Hints to Avoid a Holiday Plumbing Disaster
As a leading plumbing company in the Decatur, AL area, Lamco Plumbing and our master plumbers work hard each and every day to make sure that our clients and community get the best possible treatment in the service industry. Above all else, we want you to feel comfortable and happy in your own home. The holiday season came quickly and now that it has arrived, this is the perfect time for plumbing mishaps in the kitchen and bathroom. Appliances and plumbing fixtures can cause many unwanted inconveniences this time of year and we wanted to take a few minutes to give you some pointers on how to avoid plumbing disasters this Christmas season!
Thanksgiving and Christmastime are two of the biggest times of the year for plumbing problems in your home. With the amount of cooking done and guests you are hosting, clogged garbage disposals, overused dishwashers and clogged toilets are extremely common among other things. Don’t let these things take a negative toll of your happy holiday mentality! Let our Lamco Plumbing contractors help you avoid a plumbing catastrophe!
- Your dishwasher drains into the same pipe as your sink does so it is important that it isn’t clogged. Try running your garbage disposal before you start your dishwasher to make sure that nothing is trapped inside.
- If the water in your dishwasher starts at a higher temperature you will get cleaner dishes so try running a little bit of hot water down your sink drain before you run your dishwasher.
- The perfect temperature setting for the best clean in your dishwasher is 120°F.
- Try to conserve water and energy by only running your dishwasher when it is fully loaded… and try to load it properly! Stacking your dishes inward and facing down will not only allow more dishes to fit but it will also give you the best clean. A full dishwasher is great but don’t overdo it or your dishes won’t get clean and you’ll have to run it again.
- Pre-rinse selectively. If you are going to use the amount of water you usually do to pre-rinse you are better off just washing the dishes. The quality of dishwashers and dishwasher soaps and detergents right now is high. One night try running a load without rinsing them first. You may be impressed with what you find!
Tips for the Garbage Disposal:
- Be careful what you put down your garbage disposer! Here is a list of foods you shouldn’t put down your drain to avoid an unnecessary clog:
- Hard materials like seeds, pits, egg shells and small bones
- Liquids including cooking fats, greases and oils
- Fibrous foods like carrots, corn husks, banana peels and celery
- Foods that expand with water including rice and pasta
- If your garbage disposal smells funny, a garbage disposer degreaser can fix that. Just make sure it has been authorized by a garbage disposal manufacturer to be sure it is safe for your drain and pipes. A great product that we stand behind is Total-C, a drain treatment product. Not only is it good for smells but it is also a great drain maintenance product.
- Avoid using citrus food to try to freshen the scent because in the long-run, they can corrode your pipes.
- After each use, run cold water down the drain for about 15 seconds. This will ensure that excess substances, materials and foods will be cleared out of your drain pipe.
- Preventative Tip: Consider having your kitchen drained snaked every two years. Even if you take all precautions to keep your drain clean, you never know what could be hiding down there! If you haven’t had a problem yet, don’t let a major unexpected problem make you get a new garbage disposal.
Toilet Paper Tips:
*Toilet paper usage heavily increases around the holidays! If you aren’t careful, you could have some major drain cleaning problems in your future! Avoid clogged drains in your home by using some of these toilet paper tips:
- Watch how much you use! If you use too much toilet paper on a regular basis it could cause damage to your plumbing system… and a stopped drain may end up requiring snake drain cleaning.
- Now you see it… Now you don’t! Toilet paper that dissolves faster is better for your plumbing system. The thicker the paper is the more likely it is to take longer. Keep your eye out!
- Don’t flush “flushable” wipes or any other materials down there. The truth is, flushable wipes aren’t always so flushable. They gather as they travel down your pipes into your septic plumbing system and eventually form giant balls of un-dissolvable material. This can lead to sewer line obstructions and big costly sewer repair in your future.
Do You Need a Drain Cleaning Service?
Nobody wants to handle dishwasher repair, get garbage disposal installation or need cable drain cleaning around Christmastime. You should be enjoying each and every moment you can with your friends, family and loved ones. Take advantage of the helpful tips from our certified plumbers and you’re one step ahead of the game. But, if problems should ever find you and you are in need of a plumbing repair service or local plumber services for any reason, count on Lamco Plumbing in the Decatur, AL area!
Contact Us at 256.227.5862